A story for you

My family moved alot when I was growing up. When we moved to Shelley we lived in a yellow house. It sat right in the middle of the old highschool and the bus parking lot. It was a busy place. That was my 38th move. We would move 4 more times in Shelley before I graduated.

When we came to Shelley my mothers father drove her down to Blackfoot and made her get State Welfare. It was significant to my mom. She is a tough ol' bird and it brought her great shame to accept help from the state and from the church. I know she didn't mean to make me feel like we were bad people for being on welfare but I felt that way. Even in church I could feel the clicks and the circles and saw how differently we dressed compared to others. But that is not my point of this story.

When we lived in that yellow house on Fir Street we were new. We did not have any friends. We did not have alot of substance or meaningful belongings. What my mother did have was stored in the shed. Fancy restaurant equipment, our bicycles and other stuff. It burnt down one night in the middle of winter. It was soposed by the firefighters that it was lit by a cigarette butt - teens smoking behing the shed.

It wasn't a significant event other than the excitement it caused.... the middle of the night, a hot roaring fire that lit the house up with it's light and caused my poor mother to think the entire house was on fire. The kind soul that saw the fire and came bursting through the door to get us all out to safety. The frail couple across the street that took us into their home while this was going on. And last but most importantly...

It was Christmas. Someone? Some organization? Whoever it was, bless their soul... came to our house and left gifts for us. Clothes, bikes, toys,food. The list goes on.

It was the first time I realized that someone cared about us. Only 12 at the time I felt my first glimmer of hope for the future. It was speculated that maybe the highschool sent the gifts or maybe the church but it gave me a respect for the gift of service.

Now I think that my life has had more heartache and saddness than most others and there are parts of it I will never share but the most blessed times in my life were surrounded by good people that helped me raise above it.

To those of you who are hurting right now - find peace and comfort with the good people in your life. Those who inspire. The ones who love and care. The people that mean the most to you in your life. Be the person that someone can turn to.

If you haven't heard this song before listen to it. It's by Michael Mclean. It is the last song on my playlist at the top of this page.

1 comment:

Messy Jess said...

Blogger Lisa Loo said...

Was that Shelley, ID?? I lived in Ammon my Sophmore through Senior year--I actually know where Sheeley is!

You have been through a lot--that was a beautiful post--thanx for sharing

October 25, 2008 11:52 AM
Delete
Blogger Angie said...

Thanks for stopping by and EVEN commenting! I'm so proud of you! You are very kind too! Please come over any time and don't feel bashful! I really enjoyed reading this story!

October 26, 2008 5:55 AM
Delete
Blogger DesertHen said...

I know where Shelley is, we lived in Idaho for several years. Thank you for sharing your story.....

I do hope your little girl is doing much better? Keep us posted.

Thank you for stopping over at my blog......and for following.

October 26, 2008 10:04 AM
Delete
Blogger Scrappy Girl said...

Wow...what a story. I enjoyed reading it and it touched my heart!

October 26, 2008 1:57 PM
Delete
Blogger Mother Goose said...

Thank you for sharing your most intimate thoughts. Your message is sweet and should be heard by all! I am glad that you choose to look at the good and recognize the bad but to surround ourselves with good and with good people!

October 27, 2008 2:30 PM
Delete
Blogger Nouveau Me said...

Thanks for sharing this story

October 29, 2008 1:26 PM
Delete