Great Way to Change Your Thinking

The following I found on wishing and discovering. I wanted to post it here because it really has helped me alot this week. Go visit their blog. Very insightful.


"The last group we attended we were given a sheet of the Top Ten Stinkin' Thinkin' from Marsha Linehan's skills. I thought they were really helpful and want to share them with you:

1. ALL OR NOTHING THINKING: If you're not perfect, you're a total loser. If you don't get everything you want, it feels like you got nothing. If you're having a good day, the rest of your life is perfect and you don't need therapy anymore.

2. OVER GENERALIZATION: One thing goes wrong and your whole life suddenly becomes one lousy thing after another.

3. MENTAL FILTER: You develop selective hearing and only hear the one tiny negative thing surrounded by all the huge positive stuff.

4. DISQUALIFYING THE POSITIVE : The good stuff doesn't count because the rest of your life is miserable.

5. MAGNIFICATION OR MINIMIZATION: The screw-ups or losses are HUGE and the good stuff or your positive qualities are small.

6. EMOTIONAL REASONING: You start thinking that your emotions are fact. "I feel, therefore it is." "I feel like she hates me, therefore she does."

7. JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS: You suddenly become a psychic mind reader. You know without even asking that people have it in for you and that everything you try is going to come out miserably.

8. SHOULD STATEMENTS: You should on yourself. You start beating yourself up with the "shoulds." "I should be able to deal with this better." "I should be able to deal with this better." "I should be able to handle this." "I should have said this/done that."

9.LABELING AND MISLABELING: Over generalization taken a step further. Your use extreme language to describe things.

10. PERSONALIZATION: You see yourself as the cause for things you have absolutely no control over or the target of stuff that may have absolutely nothing to do with you. "It's all about me"-but not in a good way."

1 comment:

Messy Jess said...

3 messy notes:

Becka Babe said...

I'm proud of you for getting so much done!
But I did miss being in contact with you.
Its exciting about all your Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff, are you going to have Thanksgiving dinner at your house now instead of Lorna's?
Tuesday, 11 November, 2008
leaca said...

wow, 95 lbs, eh? that is amazing.
Tuesday, 11 November, 2008
Jess... said...

becka, I forbid you to say "I'm proud of you", you sound like my mother!!
Tuesday, 11 November, 2008

Post a Comment