Un-traditional Traditions!



My Grandmother made these delicious crescent rolls and of course the recipe got handed down to my mother who makes them for church functions and THANKSGIVING!

We have them every year and it is looked forward to more than turkey or dessert!

They are so delictable....delightful....delicious.....down right melt in your mouth goodness.....


There is a tender story to tell.

When we lived in Colburn Colorado my mother would only grocery shop once a month. It cost $5 to make the trip down the hill to the only store where even stale bread was considered a blessing.

On an especially poor month my mother brought her precious items of food home and set them on the table where she would ask a blessing that the food would last until the next trip down the hill.

As she stood there deciding what to make with the ingredients she was prompted strongly to make the rolls. Not a sensible choice but still the spirit spoke to her strongly to make the rolls. And she did.

No sooner had she begun to make them she received a phone call from a neighbor's wife.

My mother was known to be a lady who could do anything. She often had people pay her to make pretty bows or flower arrangements. I remember someone once asked her to make a hot air balloon out of paper mac he and she did it! It was on a large scale too! I've never seen a balloon so huge!

This phone call was for fresh bread. Could she do it? Tears streamed down my mothers face as she told the neighbor that she was making rolls just then. The neighbor offered to pay her dearly for them.

The trade was made and my mother took the $50 and went back down to the little store. She bought enough groceries that lasted clear past the next trip down the hill.

My mother calls them the miracle rolls. Everyone started calling her the Roll Lady.

My mom was asked to make them for the church Christmas party in Pleasant Grove Utah. It was an overwhelming amount and she asked the sisters in the ward to help out by making the dough and meeting her at the church. They then met the next morning after the dough had risen to roll them out and to let them rise again. That evening they came back and baked them and they served them fresh. There was a man who owned several restaurants and praised her up and down for the perfect pastry. She humbly said that it wasn't her credit - everyone had helped.

We had moved away and a friend sent us a newspaper clipping stating something close to the following:

"So and So" from the Pleasant Grove Ward # "such and such" has won the $350.00 contest for the best roll recipe!

Our friend told us that she referred to herself as "the roll Lady"

We laughed and laughed until our sides hurt.

1 comment:

Messy Jess said...

this is it said...

P.S. I would like to share the recipe with you but I've been sworn to secrecy. I told my mother I was posting this and she said jokingly that if you sent her one dollar and a self addressed stamped envelope she would give you the recipe. He he she is so funny.

November 15, 2008 9:15 AM
Delete
Blogger DesertHen said...

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it. Your mom sounds like a wonderful lady!! Keep that recipe a secret....=D

November 15, 2008 9:20 AM
Delete
Blogger Candid Carrie said...

Oh my gosh, what an awesome story! You did a great job letting that story unravel!

Thank you so much for sharing and it seems as though "the roll lady" was an amazing and humble woman.

November 15, 2008 1:33 PM
Delete
Blogger binders said...

I'm so glad I linked to your blog today and read this post.

You see, my Mother-in-law is also 'the roll lady' (except in Provo). She managed the school district bakery for 20 years and makes the most incredible Lunch Lady Rolls you've ever tasted. Making those rolls fed the family on many occasions.

It's so humbling and amazing to see the lengths our Mothers and Grandmothers would go to in order to feed their families. What a precious story. Thanks for sharing.

November 15, 2008 5:11 PM
Delete
Blogger supermommy said...

What a beautiful story

BTW, thanks for stopping by my blog and the compliment on my girls.

November 15, 2008 7:04 PM
Delete
Blogger Danyelle Ferguson said...

I absolutely love your story! It reminded me of my hubby's great-grandmother who was the head cook for her local elementary school. She worked there her whole life. When she passed away, the thing she was most remembered for were her awesome homemade rolls that the kids absolutely loved and devoured. Isn't it incredible how the talents we take for granted make us special to those around us?

November 16, 2008 9:03 AM
Delete
Blogger RhondaLue said...

awesome how she was inspired to make the rolls. That totally might have made my eyes water. :)

November 17, 2008 11:33 AM
Delete