The Mother Letter Project

This really cool Husband and Dad is asking that moms everywhere write a letter to his wife who is a mom of some little cherubs. They are throwing away the commercial Christmas and giving each other gifts that they made for each other. There's more to this story: see it here at blissfully domestic

So here's the deal:
Write a letter and send it to motherletter@gmail.com
Link to it at http://www.motherletter.blogspot.com/
Or post a comment at that same site.
Don't forget to write Dear Mother on your letter and send it before Christmas


Here is my letter:

Dear Mother,
I am a mom to a
5 year old autistic son,
a 4 year old know it all-girl-of-all-girly-girls,
a 3 yr old loud-strong-athletic-tom-boy,
and a sweet butterball of a 8 month old baby girl.

The first 7 years of my married life I have spent pregnant, breast feeding, recovering from pregnancy, moving, dealing with the medical needs of my son .... it's seems like it has gone so slowly but then I turn around and it has vanished.

And Jesus said, "Behold your little ones"
I've always said Hold your little ones. Rock them. Sing to them. Hug them. Hold their hand. Color with them. Sing to them and with them. Tell them stories of Jesus and of Heaven and about the King and Queen we call Heavenly Mother and Heavenly Father...

Lay in the grass with them and stare at the sky. Go for long walks and take trips to the park. Have mommy-child dates. Let them help with the chores and daily routine. Involve them every chance you get.

Listen to them. Encourage them to talk and share their feelings. Call them names like sweetheart and precious. Tell them they are Prince's and Princess's. Tell them bedtimes stories and read to them. Encourage them to be independent.

Teach them to pray and to talk to God. Let them learn to have values like individual worth, honesty, the meaning of true hard work.

But above all - let the messes be messes. Your children are gone in a blink of an eye - but the messes will always be there.

In all your duties and responsibilities - take time to be yourself. Dote on your physical appearance, your spiritual attributes, your mentality. Have a social life. To thine on self be true.

Seek to balance your roles as well as you can manage. There is a time and place for everything. Be patient. Take mini breaks. Count to ten - or higher... Depend on your husband to be your help-mate.

It may seem heavy or depressing at times so stay connected to your Father in Heaven who gives strength to the weary and peace and rest to those that endure.

Find happiness in the small moments in each day. Don't compare yourself to others.
Do Your best and Forgive yourself often.

Find a support group made up of family and friends and go to bed every night with a list of things to be grateful and thankful for.

Remember and honor your parents or people in your life that have helped you become the person you are today.

Use your camera every chance you get.

If all else fails.... count on your blogging friends to get you through the day!

Merry Christmas and wishes for you and your family to have many wonderful memories!

12 comments:

rychelle said...

what a great project, and a beautiful letter!

Cynthia said...

That is a very cool project. I'll have to see if I can come up with something. Not much to add though because your letter said it all and so very eloquently.

pearlsandchocolate.com said...

What a wonderful letter! Wonderful!!!!

McEwens said...

What a wonderful letter, you are wise beyond your years! Your great wisdom reminds me of Erma Bombecks last letter....

McEwens said...

Here is her last column_
If I Had My Life To Live Over
by Erma Bombeck
The following was written by the late Erma Bombeck
after she found out she had a fatal disease.




If I had my life to live over, I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television - and more while watching life.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."

There would have been more "I love you's".. More "I'm sorrys" ...

But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute... look at it and really see it ... live it...and never give it back.



© Erma Bombeck

Messy Jess said...

McEwens, Thank you for replying - I hope you copied and pasted that! Thanks for writing it here. Jess

McEwens said...

Copied and pasted! No problem... see how it reminded me of your letter? It was your depth of wisdom that you wrote with.

Have a great day!

Oh and WE ALL read our own comments, it is hard to go back to the blog we asked the question on, so I find it easier to reply on the blog that asked the question!

tammy said...

Beautiful!

Blog Buddy said...

Cool letter! How did you get your playlist to eLONGgate? Mine is too short and fat!

Blog Buddy said...

Thanks Messy Jess!! My playlist looks skinny now :) Wish I could type in these numbers to my body gadget height and width-♥

Kellan said...

Your letter was beautiful and filled with wonderful reminders of things we should all be trying to do to be good mothers/parents. Thanks for these reminders.

Take care and see you soon - Kellan

Mother Letter said...

Such a great letter! Thank you! I hope your readers will contribute.

I have finally put you in the bloglines. I am sorry for the delay.