# 4 FOOD and Nutrition!








I've been thinking about the connection between health and fitness and food and nutrition. Recently my husband was diagnosed with meniers disease. It runs in the family. This last episode was bad - he got really dizzy and sick and stayed in bed for three days. It has something to do with the middle ear and vertigo and can be very serious. He cannot drive during one of these attacks and....driving is his job. With the right meds he is feeling better which makes me feel better - if you know me I freak out whenever my husband is sick. But that brings me to my next TOP 5....FOOD and Nutrition!

Although heredity, certain foods trigger the attacks. Salt. Caffeine. Aspirin. Fried Food. My husband is going to have to nearly eliminate those from his diet. We have already changed our diet and eating habits from before when Darrel was in the hospital for a bleeding ulcer.

Before we were a family of Pasta and bread and snacks - (the bakery kind of snacks). We have eliminated most of the pasta and breads and have been focusing on fruits, vegetables and meat.

I have no idea what the perfect diet is - and I know you still need carbs to balance things out so it is all about moderation and portions. Our grocery list looks like this:

Dairy - milk, butter, eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, string cheese

Fruits - apples, bananas, oranges, peaches, pears, cantaloupe, watermelon, applesauce, berries

Vegetables - cucumber, tomato, lettuce, spinach, peppers, celery, green beans, corn, potato, broccoli, peas, carrots, asparagus

Meat - chicken, hamburger, roast, sausage, bacon, fish sticks, hot dogs, lunch meat, ham, pork chops, steak

Baking - flour, sugar, b.sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, pepper, vanilla, choco-chips,

Other- pasta -sauces, rice, oatmeal, bread, cold cereal, pb and jelly, Graham crackers, saltine crackers, goldfish, pancake mix- syrup, soups, mac-n-cheese, chili, taco shells, tator tots, shake-bake, gravy mix, ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickles, ranch, popcorn, jello, pudding

*Making your own mixes ei-pancakes, will save money and can be healthier but I haven't gotten that far into being efficient.
*changing flour to wheat flour - pasta to whole grains - you can each much healthier than this...but again - haven't made the switch yet.

If you think you cannot afford healthy food - surprise you can! Cut out the pop and chips and other snack foods. Cut down on expensive toiletries and don't buy name brands.

So what do we make with these groceries? Don't worry I'll tell you...

Breakfast
oatmeal, cold cereal, eggs - scrambled fried poached boiled..., toast, bacon, sausage, hash browns, french toast, waffles, pancakes, FRUIT!, yogurt, muffins

Lunch
sandwiches:Chicken Salad sandwich, BLT sandwich, Cold cut sandwich, egg salad sandwich, peanut butter jelly sandwich, roast beef sandwich, turkey sandwich, chicken sandwich, french dip sandwich, fluff n nutter sandwich,

taco's, hamburgers, pizza, hot dogs, mac-n-cheese



Dinner
Meatloaf, Mashed Potato, Sloppy Joe's, Shepard's Pie, Nachos, Tator Tot Casserole, Lasagna, Chicken and Rice, Chicken Strips, Fried Chicken, Chicken Patties, Cordon Blue, roast and potato, Fish sticks and Rice, Yummy Potato's, Potato Bar, Steak and Potato, Spaghetti, Goo Losh, Chili and Rice, Pot Pie, Pasta/Sauce,

soups: tomato and rice, cheesy potato, chicken noodle

Add a salad a veggie or fruit to your meal and Walah!

To lose weight I am eating a fiber rich breakfast a salad for lunch and a small portion of dinner. Snacks are more veggies or fruit. Don't forget to drink plenty of water!!

Having food and nutrition on my TOP 5 is important to me. Life is a balance. Everything you do effects all the others - physical fitness, mentality, spirituality, rest and relaxation....somehow by grand design they all work together. Don't be too hard on yourself - allow yourself to indulge once in awhile - for my family it is homemade cookies on Sundays. Don't try eating healthy as a temporary fix - make it a life time habit!


My challenge is this summer - food on the go...we are doing a lot of park hopping and need easy and fast snacks to take with us. The kids will be so hungry they will be willing to eat foods they may not other wise attempt to try. Now's a good time to eat healthy! Now is a good time to teach your children to take care of their bodies. That's my goal. I'd like to try growing a garden - but that's another story...

1 comment:

Heidi Ashworth said...

I agree--we can't possibly overestimate the importance of food in every aspect of our life. I feel the frustration,though--I have to eat a diet that doesn't really meet all my nutritional needs. Gluten is also in a lot of vitamin supplements so those are out, too. It's really upsetting, especially since wheat is my religious food and I can't eat it.