#5 Rest and Relaxation

Rest and relaxation #5

In the bible it says that the God's rested on the 7th day of creating the world. The seventh day was set aside as the Sabbath. A day to praise and worship God. A day to rest from all our cares.... and it was so - from the very beginning.

I know someone who is busy in all aspects of her life. It has really upset her fountain of happiness and more importantly her relationship with God. Everything she is doing is good - work full time, school, wife, mother, church work.... but she hasn't taken the time to rest and relax and to get the energy that her body and mind need.

Too often we will pack for our vacations and take everything we need. But we forget to leave behind the stress and worries that take up our time and energy. We come back feeling like we need a vacation from our vacation.

Without balance in our life - it gets chaotic. I put together a chart of everything I wanted to accomplish in my life right now. It involves everything from my top 5. I spent this week trying to get my new routine down and I've been pretty close - but I have expected too much of myself considering outside distractions like children's temper tantrums, unexpected company, rain, sickness, emergencies....

545-600 Prayer and Meditation/Journal
600-700 Exercise step aerobics
400-730 Appearance
730-800 Breakfast
800-900 Chores
900-1200 Park Hopping Fun
1200-100 Lunch
100-200 Home School Arts and Crafts
200-300 Exercise walking-aerobics
300-400 Home School Math and Writing
400-500 Chores
500-600 Dinner
600-700 Home School Reading
700-730 Bedtime Routine
730-800 Seminary and Scriptures
800-900 Exercise weight lifting
900-915 Prayer and Meditation/Journal

That is a full busy day. I have time to myself. I have time to teach the children about school work and house work and team work and I have time to play with them. I have time to reflect on spirituality - It's balanced... it's perfect right?

Wrong.

We cannot simply expect life to go smoothly as we plan it.

"Life is what happens while we are busy making other plans."

We try to control everything. We get fustrated when things don't go our way or the dreams and goals we have seem too far to reach.

What we have to do is slow down and ask ourselves -

Who am I?
Why am I here?
What do I want to do while I am here? and
What will make me happy?
Where will this lead me?
When will I get there?

Everyday we have the opportunity to live how we want. Our choices decide the pattern of our life. We can chose to act or react. We can chose to be happy or sad.

Find balance in your life. Throw out the bad and weed through the good. Eliminate things that are keeping you from finding balance in your life.

Take a leap of Faith. Go outside your normal comfort zone. You and only you have the power to change your life. Consider putting God back into your life. Your life is a gift from God. And just like any good parent - He wants you to talk with him so he can guide and direct you. He has given you gifts and talents to fulfill your purpose in life.

Men are that they might have Joy. God has promised us that if we obey His commandments we will have joy and happiness. If you find you are unhappy you may want to review this list and see where you are coming up short.

1Thou shalt have no other Gods before me.

2Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.

3Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

4Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy.

5Honor thy father and thy mother

6Thou shalt not kill

7Thou shalt not commit adultery

8Thou shalt not steal

9Thou shalt not bear false witness

10Thou shalt not covet


My top 5 has really helped me organize my life and get focused. I've had fun writing about it. I've learned a few things about myself as I did it. If I live to be 100 - I only have 66 years left. That's a whole lot of living. Better go through it happy and fulfilled rather than kicking and screaming.

No comments: