I always get sentimental this time of year. When July rolls over into August. When children get excited to return to school and fall is just around the corner. It was also 10 years ago that I made one of the hardest choices in my life.

It was my fourth year in a nanny position and I loved the family. I wasn't happy with the choices I was making for myself and I knew I needed to fix some things to find true happiness. I'll never forget how afraid and frightened I was. I only had a tiny ounce of faith in myself and the faintest belief that I would be strong enough to carry it out. I wasn't sure if I was running away from my problems or running towards a solution. It was a leap of Faith.

On the ride home I was given this napkin with a packet of peanuts.



I've thought about this saying for a long time. We get to choose everyday who we are and how we will react. Every day is a new day. We get up...we put one foot in front of the other...we breathe in and breathe out -

Every day we decide who we are going to be. Do we show our best face or do we stomp our feet and scream that life is unfair.

A important person to me passed away almost one year ago. Her influence lives on but her absence has left a huge hole. It is one of those life events that changes your heart and either brings you to the depth of sorrow or helps you embrace your life more fully.

I chose to grab my camera and I started planning activities that would create happy memories and help my children develop good character. What we give of ourselves to others is the only legacy that we will leave behind.

The freedom to be yourself is the freedom to be your best - Robin McGraw said it best in her book "from my heart to yours". She was mad at her husband and had every right to be and instead of being mean in return she chose to show her best self. She loved him enough to give the best of herself - to show him how good and forgiving she could be. I LOVE that!

This post is for all the people in my life that cheered me on - to find the best of myself - to give up the bad parts and learn to really love myself and to really love others.

There are people whose feelings and well-being are within my influence. I will never escape that fact.

Isn't that where true happiness lays?

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I really liked this post! I agree that we are most likely to find happiness when we step out of our comfort zones. It's scary but that's where solutions are found- usually.

For me, 10 years ago, it was giving up my brand new home, my job I loved and living near family to move to another state. My husband was offered a huge raise if we moved and we knew that would be the way for us to continue to 'afford' infertility treatments so maybe we could have a family. We sacrificed ALL and made the move. In return, 18 months later, the Lord made it possible for us to come back home to that same house but return as a family of 4. As an extra 'reward', my spouse was now earning enough that I could be a SAHM to our tiny twins. So often we find what we THOUGHT to be a sacrifice is returned to us AFTER we show faith.

Jess... said...

Cynthia, Your comments are always so thoughtful...Glad to be internet friends with you.

tammy said...

Love this post.