Forever Cowboy

He never was my step father - we just called him Dad from the very beginning.

A true cowboy, Ralph was inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Other than the fact that he is nearly 80 years old and still shoes horse fulltime -

Ralph is popular for his ability to talk your ear off,

his gentleness,

his kindess and his famous motto -

"keep a low profile."

Ralph is the color white. Laid back and keeps peace at all costs. Sometimes this gets him into trouble.

Like when Mom is pacing back and forth waiting to be somewhere on time.

This is a poem she wrote about it.



WAITING….You said you’d be here at “six”
I’m behind on my chores and I’ve got supper to fix!

Then, the familiar clunk of the pick-up truck
Settles me down once more.
Your smile delights me and calms me
As you greet me from the door.

"There was an old man in an old red van
who needed a change of tire,
And a friend had asked me to mend a fence,
He didn't have funds for hire.

But growing along the roadside,
were these, and I thought of you.
An armload of yellow roses filled my heart
and sparked my love anew."

PACING…..IMPATIENT…..FRUSTRATED!
It’s way past the appointed hour!
Now isn’t this a dandy way to make a marriage sour!

Then, the familiar clunk of the pick-up truck
Settles me down once more.
Your smile delights me and calms me
As you greet me from the door.

“There was hay to haul for a friend named Paul
And a neighbor’s horse had gone lame
I had to check on recovering Ted
So, forgive me, don’t hold me to blame.”

With chores all complete, we lay
In the hay beside the new baby filly
Her mom didn’t care that we were there
And named her after granddaughter, “Willy.”

PEACE…..leaning against the new bailed hay,
watching the baby calves grow.
And a gratitude prayer bursting forth from heart ,
was heard and answered, I know.

Then, the familiar clunk of the pick-up truck
Settles me down once more.
Your smile delights me and calms me
As you greet me from the door.


“I stopped to chat with our friend, Matt
He’s not doing well, you see
And he had a horse that needed shoes
Now was the time I had, so, it just had to be.”

The sun had gone down and the stars in the sky
Were bright and delightful was the weather!
As we stood there under your hat, we knew
It was not accident our lives have come together.

Contentment. . . . . . .Watching the pounding storm come in!
Oh, the lessons I’ve learned, being in love with him!


“What’s the rush and what’s the hurry?
Be still and hear their hearts.
Be more like the Savior
And glad to do your part.

TIME.
It passes once this way.
And if my help is needed,
I offer it today!”

Oh, the familiar clunk of the pick-up truck
Settles me down once more.
Your smile delights me and calms me
As you greet me at the door.

And when you’re the one who’s left
Anxiously waiting at the barn,
Just be patient and listen,
There’s much to learn, living on the farm.

Verla-



































1 comment:

islandgirl said...

When we were out there, I grabbed your Moms book this was in and read this, loved it. Thanks for sharing it here too!